Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A double dose of documentary DVD; new this week at the buffet…

While I can't quite categorize this week's specials as B-Movies, I can (and will) categorize these documentaries as independent films and that totally counts in my book. (Not that anyone was asking.) First up, alphabetically speaking, is a fascinating foray into the hearts, minds and homes of 8-track minded folk around the U. S. of A., So Wrong They're Right. Rounding out our new menu offerings is We Jam Econo: The Story Of The Minutemen, a thoroughly engaging documentary about a thoroughly engaging band.

Interesting personal trivia note: one of the interviewees in this film shook us down for royalty money last year because a record we released in 2002 contained a cover version of one of his long since defunct band's songs. Crazy, huh? I had to admit I was unaware that you had to pay a musician for the right to record a version of one of their songs but he seemed convinced that we "owed" him a sizable fee and was determined to collect it. (The Steel Cage band in question was mortified that an old friend / associate of theirs would send a threatening letter to a small independent record label, and offered to pay him whatever he wanted out of their own pocket - an offer we greatly appreciated, but turned down.) Since the royalties we "withheld" from him, according to the official BMI / ASCAP mechanical royalty policy that he cited, totaled six bucks and some change we just sent him a check. So, yeah, essentially we paid him to leave us alone. Sigh. On a somewhat related note I have a huge crush on another one of this film's interviewees so I'm thinking about starting a Circle Jerks cover band in the hopes that Keith Morris will call or email me. Wish me luck.

No comments: