Thursday, February 23, 2006

The drinking man's film festival is this woman's kind of film festival!

I would never dream of telling you what to do with your time, but if you just so happen to live in the Tri-State area and enjoy the kind of films we write about on our website, then perhaps you'd wanna check out The Backseat Film Festival, an event taking place here in Philly next week.

Here's a little info. culled from their website:

"Now in its fourth year, the Backseat Film Festival is a rock ‘n roll film fest devoted to the best in edgy, unpretentious movies from all over the cinematic globe. An electrifying mix of zany short films, sleazy music videos, unrelenting documentaries and some of the most exciting feature film premieres around, the Backseat Film Festival is a showcase for movies that embody the youthful, exhilarating spirit of rock ‘n roll. No multicultural-love-stories or heavy-handed political statements here, just a lot of zombies, hot chicks, bad jokes and great music. And also, a hell of a lot of booze."

Obviously this is right up the BMB's alley, because we love zombies, hot chicks, bad jokes and great music! (And booze; but, truthfully, I'm kind of a lightweight. Assuming a hell of a lot of booze equals more than a Vodka Collins or two, I can't really drink a hell of a lot of booze. I do enjoy an adult beverage though.)

A number of films we've reviewed on the site in the past year are having their Philly premiere as part of this fine event: Broad Daylight / Shine On Sweet Starlet, Die You Zombie Bastards!, The Janitor and Rock & Roll Eulogy. I can't vouch for The Janitor (Phil D. seemed to liked it though) but I have seen the other ones on that list, and I highly recommend them all.

The movies that I have not seen that I'm most interested in checking out are All Kindsa Girls, Derailroaded and Stomp! Shout! Scream! And maybe Re-Penetrator; although I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy that last one. On the one hand it has Tommy Pistol - of whom I am a fan - but on the other hand, it's rumored to be filled with as much gore and ickiness as the movie it's based on, Re-Animator. And I could barely make it through that without my hand over my eyes. So we'll see what happens.

Anywhoo, a full schedule, ticket info., directions to the theater etc. can be found on their website as well. Maybe we'll see you there?

No comments: