Monday, July 30, 2007

The BMB is back in town...

With our summer vacation now in the past tense, we will soon be returning to our regularly scheduled schedule of weekly updates - as soon as we climb out from under the pile of email, regular mail, laundry and work that accumulated while we were gone. (I'm thinking I'll post the update on Monday of next week but it could just as well wind up being Tuesday or Wednesday.)

In the meantime I thought I'd mention a couple things I learned from reading through my post-vacation email. (Technically these emails came in during our vacation but I didn't read them until today; i.e.: post vacation.) I think I'm gonna have to space these news nuggets out in increments over the next few days though, for the reason mentioned earlier.

Anywhoo, when faced with the question of "what do you want first, the good news or the bad news" I always choose to get the latter straight away. (For one thing when it comes to bad news I don't like to fuck around. I prefer to find out what the problem is asap so I can start figuring out how I'm going to deal with it. Plus I have a theory that the good news, when delivered after the bad news, helps to soften the blow of the former.) With that in mind, we'll start with the bad news.

While we were on vacation Lazlo Kovacs died. For those not familiar with his name (as I wasn't at first; although as soon as I looked at his IMDB page I realized I should know his name based on how many of the listed films I've seen), Kovacs was a cinematographer who was probably most famous for his work on such Hollywood classics as Five Easy Pieces & Easy Rider.

Of course we here at the BMB will always remember him for such non-Hollywood classics as Hells Angels on Wheels, Hell's Bloody Devils, Psych-Out, The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies and A Smell Of Honey, A Swallow Of Brine.

Surprisingly, the Kommandant and I have seen all of the films mentioned in the previous paragraph but only reviewed two of them on the site. (Interested parties can read reviews of Hell's Bloody Devils & The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies here and here.) I promise to work towards remedying that situation in the future.

No comments: